Monday, January 30, 2012

Why do the afghans that I crochet come out uneven and curly around the edges?

I have crocheted two afghans. Both of them are uneven around the edges. It is obvious when I fold them. I can't get the ends to match. What can I do to fix this? Any suggestions?Why do the afghans that I crochet come out uneven and curly around the edges?
1. You may be pulling the yarn tighter in some areas while crocheting without even realizing it.


2. Are you using the same size hook throughout the entire piece? If you switch hook sizes, your afghan will be uneven.


3. Always crochet a border around the entire piece to help it to balance out.


4. Sometimes, while crocheting an afghan, and you've reached a point where the piece is rather large, the weight of it will ';pull'; the afghan out of shape. Blocking it will help to restore the shape.


5. For the border, always use one stitch all around it. I usually use two rows of border...single crochet...and do not pull the yarn tight or it will cause a 'bubble' effect.Why do the afghans that I crochet come out uneven and curly around the edges?
If the edges are ripply then your tension has changed from the inner part of the afghan to the outer part. It happens when the afghan gets big and heavy and your hands/arms get tired - your tension loosens up.





If you know you do that, change to a smaller hook -- that will help to control it. But you will have to experiment.
I always make a border around the edge which makes it lay flatter. If it is a ripple afghan, the ends never match.

No comments:

Post a Comment