Tuesday, January 31, 2012

How do I keep my curly hair from knotting?

After taking a shower I blowdry my hair straight. Sometimes I curl it with a curling iron. For the first like 2 hours after curling it, my hair is fine. But if I curl my hair at like 2pm and get home from work at 9:30pm..my hair in the back is like one big knot. [I have to put it half up/half down for work] Is there like any way I can make my curls stay?How do I keep my curly hair from knotting?
Sounds to me like you are having a major problem with frizz control, static control, and split ends.





But I may be jumping ahead of myself. What products are you using? May I recommend you try Pantene's line for Curls, they are the best shampoo and conditioner products on the market, and reasonably priced.





So lets say you wash your hair, you want to make sure you use shampoo and conditioner meant for curly hair, as curly hair needs extra moisture to lock in the curl. Then you will want to put a leave-in conditioner in (after you regularly condition) that is meant for curl lock. Comb it through, gently. Gently is the key word, never rake through your hair, it will only create more problems for you later on, I call this Hair Karma.





After that, you will want to buy 1-2 more products, depending on your hairs needs. Ideally, your leave in conditioner shouldnt be a 'spray'; it should be more of a balm/gel, because then you wont have to buy another ';curl locker';. But if not, then buy a seperate curl locker gel, apply enough to go through your entire hair...Even though the labels say a 'dime size', I always use 'quarter size' but i have thick hair, so I need more than the thin dime that others may use.





Now, youre almost set.....so you have all these ingrediants, go ahead and style as usual. Have a ';curl hairspray' in hand, and spray your hair when its almost dry, and then finish curling again (I call this re-curl), this will ensure the curl is locked in completely.





Now, what happens if this happens and still you have problems with knotting?





Well then you need to assess the damage to your hair. Hair needs to be trimmed on a regular basis, but curly hair is no exception. Make sure you get 1/2 inch trimmed every 6 weeks, dont skimp. This will lop of the dead ends.





Also, have you looked into getting a slight layer put into your hair, not an all-over layer ala Jen Anniston of Friends (Not the 'Rachel'), but a slight 'crown layer' that eliminates heaviness that a blunt cut of curls will give to your head. By giving a slight fringe to your back, it will really make a difference in how your hair 'sets' and 'lays' throughout the day.





Again, are you using an anti-frizz and/or anti-static spray/gel? If the problem is related to dampness/moisture, as it may sound like if your hair is perfectly healthy, then you will want to invest in a good anti-frizz gel.





Another point to consider: your diet. It sounds trite, but your hair really is a direct response to your diet and lifestyle. Hair is dead, the hair root is alive. But the hair root is underneath the skin in the dermal layer. The visible portion, the hair shaft, is just dead keratin cells.





So when you have an unhealthy lifestyle and/or diet, you will always see it in the hair shaft. Yes hair is dead, but when it was living in your root, it was being subjected to your state of health, so thus when it grows, you can really see how improper your nutrition may be.





Drink plenty of water, but dont drink excessive amounts. 64 ounces a day, no more.





Make sure you are getting adequate amounts of proteins and leafy greens in your diet.





Also, try taking Biotin, it is a wonderful vitamin supplement for healthy hair.





I hope the tips I have offered are of some assistance.How do I keep my curly hair from knotting?
Use LIVON
Good question. You should try buying Redken Glass. All you need to do is put around a dime-size of this in your hair before the curling iron or blow dryer and it'll keep your hair smooth and absolutely know free. It's fantastic. I have had long hair for years and it keeps my hair so nice. Good luck!
use leave in conditoner

No comments:

Post a Comment